Does Permitting Your Dog to Go On Your Couch, Sofa or Bed Create Bad Behavior?

Does Permitting Your Dog to Go On The Couch Create Bad Behavior? No, But Lack of Mindful Mentoring Can
Sarah my GSD x Siberian Husky enjoying warmth & comfort
3.5 min read  
In this article:
  1. Does Permitting Your Dog to Go On The Couch Create Bad Behavior?
  2. If You Don't Want Your Dog on Your Couch, Sofa or Bed
  3. Adversely Reactive Behavior

Does Permitting Your Dog to Go On The Couch Create Bad Behavior?

Clients often ask me is it OK if my dogs go on my couch, sofa, chair or bed? Will it make them aggressive?
 
The answer is no - but lack of mindful coaching and mentoring can lead to adversely reactive behavior.

Recently, I had a client ask me if his little Yorkie was being dominating as it liked to sit on the back of a couch! He had read an article on the internet that if a dog sits on the back of a coach, the dog is dominating.

I love the fact that we can do so much research at the touch of our finger…the only problem is that it magnifies the ability of those who really do not understand dogs to influence others.

To answer my client’s question, I ask them

One - Is it OK with you if your dog sits on the couch, sofa or bed?

Two - If you indicate to your dog that is should get off of the couch will it get off without any issue?

Three  -  Can everyone else sit on the couch and your dog willingly accepts every ones presence without a complaint (no growling, no nipping, etc.);

Four - Will your dog quietly yield space on the couch should he need to move over a little to make room for people or another dog?

If the answer is ‘yes’ to all of the above - then there is no issue - there is no reason why your dog should not avail themselves of the comfort of your couch, sofa or bed.

Sitting on a couch does not make a dog reactive aggressive - it is a lack of proper coaching and mentoring that can make a dog reactive.

Personally, I love relaxing late at night sitting on the couch, with dogs to either side of me, at me feet and in their various favourite spots around the living room...seeing them just being calm, relaxed, and content. Their energy spent for the day.
 
Jordie, my GSD x Malamute relaxing after a pack walk
 

If You Don't Want Your Dog on Your Couch, Sofa or Bed

Dogs are very intelligent. If you do not want your dog on your couch than you can coach him not to go on…but be fair…dogs love comfort…so when you are out of the house, don’t be surprised if you peek through a window and see your dog stretched out on those comfy pillows.

Don’t set your dog up for failure. If you don’t want him on the couch including when you are not home you are going to have to close a door or put a baby gate up to section off the spaces that accommodate couches. Be fair.

Robbie my Boxer x Pit and Tibby

To teach your dog not to go on the couch - please don’t yell at your dog! Do this instead. If your dog goes to get up on the couch:

One -  Make sure you are calm (without excess emotion),and ready to coach with fair, firm confidence. Don't be aggressive; don't raise your voice in anger.

Two - Lead...addressing from a distance is not leadership, calmly but with assurance get up and walk over to your dog.

Three - Get your dogs attention, you can touch your dog firmly but quickly with your fingers - at its neck or waist, you can snap your fingers and say 'hey' firmly, but not with anger. Never touch or talk in anger as you then lead by the wrong example!

Four - Tell your dog what you want i.e. 'off’ or down’…I have ten dogs - different breeds, from tiny to large - they all understand this type of direction...as do the dogs I work with for my clients.

Five - Tell your dog what you would like it to do instead i.e. 'go sit down' and show your dog where you would like it to sit instead. Don’t just point - get up and show your dog where you want him to sit / lie down. Once your dog is familiar with his relax spot you will be able to point…for now you must take a more active lead.

Six - Follow through...if your dog goes back to the couch to get-up, don't get angry, simply correct as per the steps above.


Abby my German Shepard
 
Be patient, fair, calm, confident and direct - remember you do not change your habits instantly!  

A dog will let go of a habit faster than most humans will…if coached properly. Because I have experience and have trained myself to communicate properly, when working with a dog I can often change an outcome very quickly. But please adjust your expectations to your abilities - if you have not trained yourself to communicate properly be patient - you need to learn first!

More reading:




Adversely Reactive Behaviour

Each and every aspect of imbalanced behaviour must be addressed or your dog will never have the opportunity to return back to a balanced, happy, healthy state.  Each little tiny thing feeds into the whole. Behaviour such as owning people or objects rarely exists in isolation - it is only a symptom of an issue. In order to address the issue and bring a dog back to a balanced state-of-being you must address all symptoms.

Again don’t set your dog up for failure, if your dog owns you don’t let it up on the couch until you address the ownership issue. This article will help you understand how to address ownership…


If your dog is possessive about space or objects that needs to be addressed as well. 

Buddy my Cocker Spaniel and Jacob my little Pomeranian 
 
As well, if your dog is possessive about space or objects, the behavior needs to be properly addressed.
 
Holistic Diet, Nutrition, Wellness Services Tailored to Your Individual Dog and Cat

For information about my holistic diet, nutrition and wellness services, visit my holistic wellness services page.

Maintain good health | Address acute and chronic health issues | Pre and post surgery support and recovery

My holistic wellness services are available worldwide via video consultation.

🌎 USA | Canada | UK | Europe | Australia | New Zealand | Asia | South and Central America | Africa | UAE

📱FaceTime | Facebook | Skype | WhatsApp

To set-up your holistic wellness consultation get in-touch via email, go to my contact me page.
 
Holistic Behavioral Services for Your Dog

For information about my holistic behavioral services, visit my holistic behavioral services page.

For dogs of all ages, sizes and breeds.

My behavioral services are available worldwide via video consultation.

🌎 USA | Canada | UK | Europe | Australia | New Zealand | Asia | South and Central America | Africa | UAE

📱FaceTime | Facebook | Skype | WhatsApp

To set-up your holistic behavioral session get in-touch via email, go to my contact me page. 
 
Affiliations to Companies  
✓ None. 
✓ I don't sell food, supplements, or other products.
I'm not aligned with any companies. 
 
Article and graphics by Karen Rosenfeld.
 



Popular Posts